Life Stages Associate
Hunter's Woods at Trails Edge
- Part Time
FT = Full Time | PT = Part Time | OPT = Occasional Part Time
|Departmental Accountabilities:||Life Styles (Activities)|
|Reports To:||Life Stages Director|
|Desired Education Level:||High school diploma or GED|
Provides active and passive, group and individual activities that enhance the mental, physical, spiritual and social needs of Residents and that allow Residents to continue playing an active role in society.
- Perform all duties and responsibilities with a positive attitude, and demonstrates impeccable ethics and integrity.
- Plans, develops, organizes, implements and directs group and individual activities (including preparation and clean up) inside and outside the residence ensuring the program meets the mental, physical, spiritual and social needs of the Residents.
- Develops and maintains good community relations
- Ensures activities department and staff operate in accordance with all ICC policies and procedures.
- Consults Residents' families as needed to best meet individual Resident needs.
- Arranges transportation and escorts for access to the community and outside activities.
- Maintains departmental budgets.
- Records and maintains activity progress notes as well as a record of Resident activities and attendance.
- Prepares and posts monthly, weekly and daily activity schedule.
- Organizes and maintains a volunteer program.
- Leads an active Resident Council.
- Develops quarterly residence newsletter.
- Completes an Activities Life Story Form for each new resident.
- Participates in the manager-on-duty program.
- Interviews and trains activities personnel.
- Manages and evaluates team members, providing performance counseling and additional training as needed.
- Determines adequate staffing needs and develops a work schedule for activities department, and performs weekly timekeeping duties.
- Must be adaptable, teachable and flexible in tasks and have exceptional time management and organizational skills.
- Must be a team player and have the ability to mentor and coach other residence team members.
- Self-motivated, proactive and able to handle multiple projects simultaneously in a fast-paced environment.
- Conducts and/or attends required in-service training sessions and orientations.
- Responds to Residents' requests.
- Respects Residents’ rights, privacy and dignity.
- Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
The ability to develop, organize and implement a well rounded activities program that enhances the lives of residents is required. The ability to manage and direct activities staff is required. Should have knowledge of therapeutic recreational techniques. Must be able to interact positively with outside organizations and develop good community relations. Creativity and motivational skills essential. The ability to exercise good judgment and make confident ethical decisions is essential. Must be able to effectively manage time in order to complete multiple tasks. The ability to communicate effectively in English both orally and in writing is essential. The ability to communicate in a mode or manner understood by the resident is required. Requires frequent bending, stretching, stooping and lifting.
A bachelor's degree in Recreational Therapy is preferred. High school graduate, GED or active registry status on the Pennsylvania nurse aide registry is required.
A minimum of one year of prior experience in the recreational therapy field required. Gerontology experience is preferred.
CTRS preferred. A valid driver's license in the state of work is required with no more than two moving violations in a three-year period as determined by insurance industry standards.
Note: Pennsylvania Assisted Living regulations require a minimum age of 18 for this position.
Pace and Variety of Activities
- Must be able to work and thrive within a fast-paced environment
- Must be able to deal with change where each day is different from the next; especially in personal interactions
- Must have a sense of urgency and manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Must be very socially-focused with a “how can I help you?” attitude
- Must be able to focus attention on building and maintaining relationships, especially where helping, not pressuring, others fosters the relationship
- Must actively seek to adhere to established guidelines and procedures
- Must place a high-level of importance on involving others in the decision-making process, with an emphasis on building consensus rather than making decisions alone
Communication & Collaboration
- Must be naturally skillful in an open, flowing communication style
- Must be effective at working with and through others, especially in a helping role
- Must have a persuasive, “selling” (rather than “telling”) communication style
Delegation and Leadership Style
- Must actively seek to work within a team environment with the attitude and willingness to jump in and roll up his/her sleeves in order to help out when necessary
- Must be able to lead by example, with first-hand knowledge of area of expertise
- Must display strong, friendly follow-up on tasks delegated to ensure proper results